Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Confoys from Ireland to Australia and the United States

Here is what I know so far on the Confoys in Ireland.  The family is from Castlebar, County Mayo, Ireland.  There are no Confoys left in Ireland today or by 1900 even.  Evidently the entire family of an age that could have children left for Australia and the United States about 1858.  The first Confoy that I can find in Australia. is Patrick Confoy.  His obituary from Goulburn Evening Penny Post, 3 October, 1896 follows:
Is his brother, T. Confoy, Timothy or Thomas Confoy?

In the United States, I know that my grandfather is Jules James "Whitey" Confoy (1908 - 1974), my great-grandfather is William H. Confoy (1869 - 1922), my great-great-grandfather is Timothy Confoy (1825 - unknown) and Timothy's father was a Patrick Confoy (unknown) who I believe never left Ireland.  Timothy had a brother Thomas, a sister Mary, a sister Rose, a brother Edward, and a sister Catherine "Kate" Confoy (1836 - 1897) whom married Benjamin A. Myrtetus in the United States and whose offspring are in the United States today.

Is the Patrick Confoy born in 1844 that died in Goulburn, NSW, Australia, the brother of Timothy and the son of Patrick that remained in Ireland?  Any information will be helpful as I believe this to be the case.

6 comments:

  1. Hey there. My wife (maiden name Leah Confoy) is descended from the Goulburn Confoys. Patrick Confoy (1820-1887) was born in Castlebar but emigrated to Australia in 1858 with his wife Margaret (O'Donnell) and five children (including Patrick who your article references and my wife's ancestor, Edward). Interestingly, they were brought over by Patrick's father-in-law Edward O'Donnell, a freed convict. Now, as far as I know Patrick's father was a Timothy (or Thady) Confoy, born around 1795 in Castlebar. I'm not entirely sure when the stories intersect, I'm guessing Timothy's brother was likely Patrick, both of whom stayed in Ireland. Gets very tricky to trace in Ireland, records seem to be scanty at best. Hope that's helped a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.flickr.com/photos/132071411@N06/31417983566/in/dateposted/
      Can you assist with any clarification of the text. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Out of interest, Leah's dad is also Michael Confoy.

    If you're interested, I've got copies of the immigration records I cited as well as a couple of other references you might want to look at. I can email them to you if you'd like.

    Cheers, Luc
    (also, we're from Melbourne, Australia where there are still a few Confoy families around).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,

    I would be greatly interested in communicating with you as we have the same great grandfather. My grandfather was your grandfather's brother William. I surmise that you are Joe's son.I have a family tree I have been working on and have also been in touch with William Confoy, who is Harry's son. Please contact me at freck15@bellsouth.net

    Thanks,

    Terry (Ungrady) Klinkert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I have just had someone do some genealogical work for me and am still piecing it all together. Roy Patrick Confoy born in Goulburn in 1908 is my Great Great Grandfather. He married Gwendoline Power. Their daughter Patricia Edith Confoy married Jack Meyn and had my mother Gillian Meyn. Any more information you have on the Confoy line greatly appreciated

    kellypblack@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI all. I have posted a pic of Patrick Confoy's Kenmore Hotel in Goulburn here
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/132071411@N06/31417983566/in/dateposted/
    The text description appears to have some inconsistencies relating to birth and death dates as of 7.12.2016.
    I need some time to sort it out but its a busy time at present. I wondered if anyone could read the text and offer any suggestions for clarity and any factual corrections. Thanks

    ReplyDelete